Zamalek have terminated the contract of Patrice Carteron by mutual consent just seven months after he guided them to a 13th Egyptian Premier League title.
The Frenchman returned to the helm for a second spell in March 2021 and went on to win the league five months later as the White Knights finished four points clear of Al Ahly.
However, Carteron had come under pressure after his side made a poor start to their CAF Champions League campaign. Saturday’s 3-1 defeat to Wydad Casablanca in Tunisia left them winless after three games in Group D.
Zamalek chairman Mortada Mansour held a meeting with the 51-year-old at the White Castle headquarters on Monday following an announcement earlier in the day that they intended to lodge a complaint with FIFA over claims his agent had entered into negotiations with another club.
Mansour confirmed after the meeting that Carteron had agreed to an amicable departure, while the complaint with world football’s governing body would be withdrawn.
“Carteron attended, as I asked him, in an investigation or hearing session, and we talked about some matters and the audio recording, and I asked him: Did anyone interfere in your work? He said that this did not happen that anyone interfered in his work,” Mansour said.
“Carteron apologised to the fans of Zamalek and stressed that he did not intend to lose or draw in the team’s matches.
“We agreed in the end to terminate the contract by mutual consent, with Carteron receiving a month of his salary, in addition to receiving the month of his monthly salary, and we will document the matter officially and wish him success in the future.”
Osama Nabih has been handed the reins on an interim basis and his first match in charge will be the visit of Future on Wednesday, March 2.